Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
gallery has been disabled
07-25-2014, 06:37 AM
gallery has been disabled
the gallery was eating up too many resources so i've been forced to close it off until the gallery's database is optimized. if you can help me with bugfixes and optimizations then let me know, but if you seriously don't know your stuff then don't bother. i need an expert that will do things properly and will stick to their word when they say they're going to do something. for the time being i will have to work on a fix by myself and that's going to be quite time consuming given my poor health and low experience.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2014, 03:30 PM
RE: gallery has been disabled
What can i do to help?
07-25-2014, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 08:24 PM by chaosscizzors.)
Quote:What can i do to help?
unless you're a php and sql wizard, nothing.
if everything goes according to plan the gallery should be functioning within a week, but i highly doubt it will. nothing ever seems to go according to plan around here.
i guess you could... pray? if we all come together we can complete the spirit bomb and defeat gygas.
07-26-2014, 05:40 PM
The problem I assume is that there are people who have Crawlers running and are siphoning all the resources, did you get any error messages about the gallery so we could start finding out what is the cause of it?

─░mage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Hope it goes back up soon but hey I can wait for those lolis Tongue

If you wish to roleplay send me a personal message. Note that I have no limits for roleplay so you can request anything!

"To create pain for yourself is to know suffering. To embrace it Is to know euphoria."
07-27-2014, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 01:09 AM by chaosscizzors.)
Quote:did you get any error messages about the gallery so we could start finding out what is the cause of it?
i can't really show you the report. really what this boils down to is 1: thousands of people use the gallery each day and 2: we're not on a dedicated server. we just don't have the processing power to do this hundreds of times every half hour or so (guessing here).
the list of current requests in the report is several hundred long and mostly contains image fetching requests. once i set up cloudflare all those fetch requests will be directed at the cloudlflare servers so that might be enough to get things back up and running, but i still want to do some routine tasks like defragmenting the database before it goes back online.
note that the 500 error is still popping up without the gallery being open. the forum gets a lot of use too so this isn't ALL because of the gallery. the gallery is just the main offender. the forum has plenty of static content that could be pointed at cloudflare servers as well.
07-27-2014, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 09:50 AM by Malamasala.)
So you are heading to cloudflare? I guess it may work. I had some issues at lolibooru I think where they used cloudflare. If my search returned a lot of results, I could get "failed to connect to server" on higher page numbers. Poor SQL/PHP or cloudflare being bad, I have no idea. But it seemed to always work for page 1,2 etc. until higher numbers so maybe cloudflare can not be blamed.

I'm no expert at database speed optimization, but I can see that there is room to optimize space usage. Your database seem to be a single table. I would suggest turning it into the BCNF standard if you want to save space. (I have no personal experience in how much work it is to change an existing database, since I've always designed it before using). If you were to change the structure, you'd naturally also have to change your query and that might save you some resources in avoiding the regex-like string comparison.

Assuming you got a pretty normal table right now, you might be able to ditch the "ORDER BY id DESC" because chances are your table is already in order and the select will be using that order. (I'd say try it, and if I'm wrong I'll feel silly and if I'm right you may have boosted speed)

I don't think defragmentation will do much, but if it won't take you too much time I guess it will be worth it. (This is based on the low chance that the OS would actually decide to split a 1-5 MB picture into multiple parts of the disc. Happens more often with 100+ MB files.)